Neonatal intensive care units (NICUs) are essential facilities for preterm and sick newborns. Unfortunately, NICUs are also exposed to infectious disease outbreaks that may put these tiny patients at risk.
To address this pressing issue, a multi-disciplinary group of experts will host a webinar titled “Protecting our tiniest patients: Strategies for managing NICU outbreaks“ on Thursday, 9 March 2023, from 17:00 to 18:30 CET. The event will bring together neonatologists, neonatal nurses, infection prevention and control specialists and other healthcare professionals working in NICUs, linked through the NeoIPC Clinical Practice Network.
The agenda includes:
- Introduction of the NeoIPC Clinical Practice Network, its goals and plans
- Presentation of a real-life outbreak case scenario and panel discussion on approaches to the case
- Questions from the online audience
- Wrap up: top tips from each panellist
The webinar will be led by topic experts:
- Julia Bielicki, Senior Researcher, Centre for Neonatal and Paediatric Infection, St George’s University of London, United Kingdom; Head of Infection Prevention and Control, University Children’s Hospital Basel, Switzerland
- Tuuli Metsvaht, Head of the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit, Tartu University Hospital, Estonia
- Angela Dramowski, Head of the General Paediatrics Clinical Unit, Tygerberg Hospital, South Africa; Professor at the Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
- Brar Piening, Senior Physician, Institute of Hygiene and Environmental Medicine, Charité – Berlin University of Medicine, Germany
- Christof Dame, Professor of Paediatrics, Deputy Director of the Department of Neonatology, Charité – University Medical School of Berlin, Germany
- Marta Castro, Nurse Researcher, Centre for Clinical Nursing Science, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
- Marina Aucamp, Infection Prevention and Control Nurse, Infection Control Service, Mowbray Maternity Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa
- Surbhi Malhotra, Professor of Medical Microbiology, University of Antwerp, Belgium
- Sven Schulzke, Director/Professor of Neonatology, Deputy Medical Director and Head of Research, University Children’s Hospital Basel, Switzerland
- Aline Wolfensberger, Senior Physician, Department of Infectious Diseases and Hospital Epidemiology, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland; Researcher in Implementation Science, University of Zurich, Switzerland
This webinar promises to be an informative and engaging event that will discuss valuable strategies for managing NICU outbreaks. Participants can expect to gain practical insights from the experts and connect with peers from different sectors and countries. Don’t miss this opportunity to improve your skills in managing neonatal outbreaks!
How to register
If you are already a member of the Clinical Practice Network, please sign up through the link you received by e-mail.
If you are NOT a member of the Clinical Practice Network but would like to attend the webinar, please fill in the NeoIPC Clinical Practice Network (CPN) Registration Form. We will be in touch with a Zoom link to connect to the webinar on 9 March.
Please note that this event is open to members of the NeoIPC Clinical Practice Network, which comprises of healthcare professionals working in neonatal units worldwide. You don’t need to be involved in other NeoIPC activities to be part of the CPN. Learn more about the CPN and check out the resources available to its members.